1.08.2007

At last, we meet...

Okay, guys, this is Merlin's Mom.

Merlin is busy with Dobby right now.

Tonight when I got home from work I went to Dobby's room to say hello and give him some love. I let Merlin follow me in, to see what would happen. He came in behind me, and just started sniffing EVERYTHING. They saw each other and just looked at each other. NO HISSING AT ALL! Dobby was just eating, and coming to me for rubs, and frolicking around.

Then they started checking each other out. Merlin was just watching, and would occasionally approach Dobby, but not much was happening.


Then they started playing!

Dobby took cover under this robe-draped chair, and they were swatting at each other. It made me nervous for Dobby, so I called Merlin off... And what happened? Dobby chased after him!

At least I hope they're playing. There are no puffy tails involved, and Merlin will occasionally just flop down on his side (in his chilled out posture). Dobby has hissed a couple times and had his ears flat, but if Merlin leaves him, Dobby just chases after him. I tried to pick Dobby up and out of the fray, but he just squirms to get away and back after Merlin (after he licks my face a little).

What do you cats think? Is everything okay here? Should I limit this? I won't let them hang out unsupervised, and I don't want to interrupt playtime, but I don't want either of them to be uncomfortable...

26 Meows:

Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone meowed...

Oh it sounds like they are doing fine. Swatting each other is totally normal. As long as the fur is not flying it is fine. And as long as one is not constantly picking on the other.

Don't call Merlin off to soon. Dobby will just start picking on him constantly (like he did with Bubbles). Watch them and if they change rolls, first one chases the other and then the chased becomes the chaser, that is perfect. The fact that Merlin just flops down shows that he is not aggresive.

I think you can let them hang out as long as they are supervised, but I think things are going very well.

The Crew meowed...

Welcome Dobby. You look enough like Merlin to be his twin! How old are you?

It sounds like the meetings and adjustments are going well. Keep the visits supervised and observe them carefully. When they're completely relaxed and will eat from the same bowl, etc., you're home free.

Pumpkin meowed...

It sounds like fings are going grate! Don't mind a little hissing. Tiger sumtimes still hisses at me but that's when I pownce on him by surprise.

Anonymous meowed...

swatting and chasing is lotsa fun. we do it every day right after breakfast. we eat, then we take turns pouncing each other, swatting, and chasing each other. it's how we play. sometimes we'll even hiss or growl, but we don't mean anything by it. we're just having a good time. biting or clawing each other would be bad - we don't do that. we think it sounds like everything's going great!

KC and the Giggleman Kitties meowed...

They do look so much alike. So glad it's going well.

Justin meowed...

It seems that Dobby n Merlin have become very good friends! My 2 cats are also quite good licking each other n living in their own world.hehe
And hey, if you have any dog friend then plz informe them about this Dog Of The Week Contest! in my blog

Its a small way to show that we love n care for them!

Jack, Persephone, Tenzing and Lancelot meowed...

No that sounds ok! That's about what Persephone and our little house-guest Squeak have been doing, and now, on day 4 they play like mad. Only a few hissies, but they're supervised by my OTW, or or Squeak's girl-human, or me.

Like Cecilia says, Merlin's not being really aggressive, so it's probably going to be fine (if they start hissing a bit more after a day or two, that's normal too, they'll probably stop soon).

Sounds like it's going just fine!

Anonymous meowed...

Hey, I saw the pics. Dude,you and Merlin were born to be brothers. And cum'on dude, we're cats, we know when someone had issues with us. If we're not scratching each other's eyes out, then we're playing, right, RIGHT.

Mo and The Purries meowed...

Merlin's Mom: I think this is a wonderful advancement in their relationship. Like you said, Merlin flopped, and no fluffy tails -- these are great signs, especially since essentially HIS turf is being invaded. The swatting and sniffing are great ways for them to find out about each other. I think after a few more supervised sessions, you should be able to let them be together for longer periods of time and figure out on their own their new routine.
I'm SO happy for all of you. I gotta admit, I was nervous, but these pictures put all my apprehensions to rest!

Mattingly meowed...

We agree with everyone else. It sounds like things are going really really well. Mom and Dad supervised Harlie and I for quite some time because she was so much smaller than me. Just in case, Mom and Dad didn't clip her claws at first so she would have an extra defense. But pretty soon we would be crying and scratching for each other on the door that separated us and that's when they knew they might as well let us be together. Harlie still growls and hisses at me sometimes, but that's because she's just very vocal. And it's part of everyone testing their limits. They will work everything out themselves. As long as there is no fur flying and it's not a realy fight (those sound much different) let them have at it. It's great that they are liking each other so quickly!!

LZ meowed...

Oh yes, we agree! This is wonderful news! Those two are going to be great friends really fast! When I first met Latte I was THRILLED to have a playmate and we ran around a lot and wrestled. One of us would hiss now and then but only until we were comfortable together. I'm so happy for you Merlin, having a fun little brother! I agree, tell your mom to stay out of it unless someone is really getting hurt.

Chase

The Meezers or Billy meowed...

we agree too! they is getting along just great!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe meowed...

Glad to hear that Merlin and Dobby are getting along (great name for him, by the way.) No fluffy tails is a good sign.

Victor Tabbycat meowed...

Can you prop the door separatin them open just enuf to play "paws"? That's a good intro game.
I wish Bonnie an I did this well, an I's been here ofur a year. At furst, I lay down when Bonnie hissed an growled, but then she'd still run, so I don't do that now. We still sound like we're serious, but Mom unnerstands that as long as there's no blood, we's ok. I should say that BONNIE makes ALL the noise - drama queen.

hopelessly ungraceful meowed...

It sounds like it's going GREAT!! I did pretty much the same thing with Sophie and Kismet -- let them sniff each other, etc. There was a lot of hissing at first -- totally from Kismet -- but after only a few days they were fine. Since you have the space (I'm in a small 2-bedroom apartment), I would just let them play together while you're around and separate them after. If Merlin is anything like Kismet, he will be pawing and meowing at the door in no time, wanting to play. :) I think it's going to be fine!! The fact that there are no puffy tails and that Dobby doesn't hiss back at Merlin is HUGE -- it implies that Dobby already understands that Merlin is the alpha cat, which means they won't fight it out for that. I'm so excited for you guys!

Also Merlin is such a big boy :)

Memories of Eric and Flynn meowed...

We agree, sownds like efurry fing is going just grate. Flynn hisses at me sumtimes but I know he duzn't meam ennyfing by it.We's so pleezed thay are getting on so well so kwik

Kate (Pablo's mum) meowed...

You guys are so SO cute together! Dobby is like a mini-Merlin! I think you're doing a great job, Merlin's Mum, but just watch out for behind-your-back shenanigans. These pictures are making Kate want another cat! But, as I've said before, I would totally eat another cat. Especially a small one.

Milton meowed...

Dobby is a great name!
I think he and Merlin we be great friends. They are off to a wonderful start.
---Beezer

Anonymous meowed...

I think they're getting along fine. You're lucky things went so well but then again, they knew each other from online...

muffinmidi meowed...

Merlin and Dobby are on the way to becoming great friends. Their mommy can relax now.

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy meowed...

This is so wonderful!

Artsy Catsy meowed...

Hi Merlin & Dobby - glad you two are getting along better than we are over here. This morning my human didn't get up soon enough to suit me, so I pounced and tried to chew her wrist off. She was rather hissy about it!

By the way, I'm Rocky, CEO (Cat Executive Officer) at the new ArtsyCatsy. Come sniff us out & if we make you purr, want to link to each other?

Jake and Bathsheba meowed...

We're SO glad that it looks like Merlin and Dobby will be pals. When Dobby grows up, we may not be able to tell them apart.

It's too late for us to be friends, but we peacefully coexist for the most part. Mom thought that making us share a blog would bring us closer together . . .

~J&B

Lux meowed...

They don't look very uncomfortable to me! They look like they're having fun!

They sure look good together, like biological brothers or something!

Mr. Hendrix meowed...

Wow, they look so much alike. Dobby is like a Mini-Merlin! I'm so glad they are getting along! Dobby sounds like a real love with the kisses. How nice Merlin is to share his bloggy with his new mini-me brother!

Tiger Lily meowed...

Sounds to me as if you and Dobby will be great friends, Merlin. I wish Tiger Lily and Jemima got along as well, but there are still problems after 7 months.

Congratulations!

Tiger Lily's mom