12.14.2006

Thanks for the Advice

Mommy and I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. We'll check out all the websites and stuff.

I have never been around other kitties, 'cept when I was a baby and I lived outside... I was found living with a group of three other kittens, but they weren't my littermates, I was a couple weeks older than the others. But since then, it's been just me, and the woofies.

Mommy's hopin' that LT and I will like each other and be best friends, but she knows it might not be so easy. Since LT knows about bein' around other kitties (the 2Bs) maybe he can teach me about it. She's also hopin' since he's little (3 months old I think) and I'm only 1 (and a half) that we'll learn to love each other.

Keep it coming with the advice and suggestions!!! Thanks, guys!

21 Meows:

Anonymous meowed...

One thing is to keep them separated and then follow your instincts. Slowly introduce them after a time you feel comfortable with. Most likely there will be lots of noise and possible fights. But if you look at Kismet he's doing great with his new sister. She's been there about a couple weeks. Seems to be doing really good to.

Danielle

ANGEL ABBYGRACE meowed...

It took Momma ofur 4 months to introduce me to da oddur 3 cats in the house. But I was an older cat and not use to being around so many oddur cats. Den Gracie came and she was a snap. But she wuz a baby (udder a year) -- she fit right in. Me I'm still fittin in and I have been here for 18 months. But, I am is all better wif efurryone.

LT is so koot! He will make a great brofur.

Abby (Manxmnews.blogspot.com)

Anonymous meowed...

Hi Merlin! I am excited about you getting a BROTHER! I have a sister now, but I almost can't even think of her as my SISTER yet. She is just a tiny girl cat who lives with me that I do not want to hit on. When your brother first gets there I bet you'll be REAL MAD. I was REAL MAD for a few days after my Person brought Sophie home. I hissed a lot and growled and was not the nicest big man cat ever. And I made my Person feel REAL bad, which I feel real bad about now. But then it gets better, cuz you get used to the little cat SMELL, and then they just wanna PLAY with you all the time, and it's fun to play, and I have all these toys that I NEVER used and Sophie LOVES them and it makes me realize how fun they are too. Plus there is extra foods around sometimes because Sophie has to eat too. And you will always be the BIG brother, and that's important too. So I am sure it will go fine, but if you get real mad and feel like hissing, that's ok to do for awhile too. Okay I can't wait!

P.s. I am posting anonymously because it won't let me log in but ITS ME KISMET

Anonymous meowed...

I'm so happy that LT is coming to live with you and be your little brother. I hope you take to him right away.

Just Ducky meowed...

Concatulations on the new addition. Looking forward to seeing pictures when he arrives.

Derby

momsbusy meowed...

concatulations merlin! we visits the 2b's and lt almost efurry day. we has had lots of fun watchin him grows. we is glad yu is gonna be his big brofur now. bubbles will be furever in yur debt. we will have to adds yu to ars fa-fur-ites list so we cans see lt grow up.
yuki & kimiko

Nika meowed...

it is very exciting to see that lt is going to be your new buddy! i am probably going to be my little tigerlily a companion soon too, so looking at all of the integration tactics is very helpful. best of luck for you guys:)

Unknown meowed...

How wonderful and how scary at the same time. It's hard to know what's going to happen. Sometimes you just take to each other and sometimes it takes a while. You got a good attitude though. I never thought I'd want a little sister and now I don't know what I'd do without her -- Blackie

Jack, Persephone, Tenzing and Lancelot meowed...

It's not so hard. You're still young.

I just got a new sister today, like Kismet. I'm not young but my new sister is the 23rd cat I've lived with in 10 years so I'm used to it.

Come to my blog and see the update on my Thursday post. I was gonna leave it here as a comment, but it's long and I though if I put it on my blog it would help more kitties.

Rascal meowed...

Wow, that's great news! I agree about a slow introduction. Mom kept Catzee and me separated cuz she knew I'd be hissy at first, but that my curiousity always wins out in the end. The separation came to an abrupt end when I figured out how to open the door. Or course, I wasn't really interested in Catzee at the time, just in her kitten chow.

Unknown meowed...

Congrats on your new brother! If we hadda known, you coulda had Conner!! hehe

Congrats again!
D
J
CC

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe meowed...

Congratulations Merlin! :) That's wonderful that you are getting a brother, and LT is getting a forever home.

You've received some great advice on being introduced to each other. Keeping you both separated at first is a very good idea. Also, when you are finally introduced face-to-face, if one of you can be in a cat carrier (if it doesn't stress either one of you too much to be in one) it can help. It keeps you separated, while allowing you to get each other's scent.

The sites that other people have recommended are very useful. Be sure to check them out!

Good luck. :)

Unknown meowed...

We probably missed it somewhere, but how old is the newcomer? Regardless of age, keep them separated for several days with the new one in the bathroom or somewhere safe. Then gradually introduce with a supervised visit, letting Merlin smell the rear end where the scent is strongest. Once they're sharing a bowl and being together without hissing/growling, you'll be OK.

Crews' Mom

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy meowed...

Concatulations!!!!!

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels meowed...

Good for you, Merlin! Concatulations! A brother will be a wonderful addition and you can teach him efurrything! Brothers are great to play chase with and to hide from (and then POUNCE!). I should know, right? I have five of 'em!
DaisyMae Maus

Victor Tabbycat meowed...

Hmmm, don't count on them "sharing a bowl." We share the water fountain an litter boxes, but haf two food dishes. Bonnie don't care which I use, long as there's anofur for her. She wants NO TOUCHing, cept when she whaps me. We play chase an she hisses an fusses up a storm, but no one efur gets hurt, an that means it's ok.

One fing Mom didn't read bout until too late to try it - when LT's shut in a room fur integration, put a toy ofur or unner the door so that bof cats can play wif it an accidentally play together. Also, we get treats together efurry day an that's aposed to help Bonnie associate good fings (treats) wif bein round me. An that's workin cuz I can be closer to Bonnie wifout gettin growled an whapped now. I'd like to nuzzle her, but she's not ready. Also amember to gif Merlin lots an lots of attention while ignoring LT.
Wif all this advice, they'll proly get along great, specially since Merlin's nice an young. Good luck!

Victor Tabbycat meowed...

I didn't mean "ignore" LT, I just meant make a fuss ofur Merlin so he knows you still love him. You'll haf lotsa time to get to know LT, so don't let Merlin fink he's been replaced. He'll need extra attention fur awhile.
PS I like the pictor of you unner the Christmouse tree. Did you help put it up? I helped wif ours.

Kate (Pablo's mum) meowed...

Better you than me, Merlin. But I guess that we stripecats have to stick together. LT will be able to learn a lot from you. Kate and the ladies she works with considered adopting LT as their office cat, but they weren't sure how many stamps they would have to stick on LT to get him to Australia.

Gemini meowed...

Oh we are so thrilled that you and LT will be brothers! I hopes it goes well too. I think it's easier when one is a kitten, cause kittens aren't as threatening as big cats. Of course, Momma said I was pushier...

Lilly Lu, Iris and Maxwell Mufsa Millon meowed...

How abput azland from the lion the witch and the wardob as a magical name he was the lion

Kate (Pablo's mum) meowed...

Aslan is the BEST NAME EVER for LT! Aslan was the strongest, coolest, bravest cat EVER! He did coming back from the dead magic and defeating evil magic and restoring peace magic!Like Jesus, but with fur and whiskers and a tail! Wish my mums had've thought of it for my forever name... but I am Pablo, and that's none too shabby.